About Me

My photo
I'm a Special Education intern at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I will be getting my master's degree in Mod/Comp Special Education in May of 2014.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Excellent Reading Teachers

The first reading I chose for this week was "Excellent Reading Teachers," and at the beginning of the article there is a list of things that "make" an excellent reading teacher. All I could think when I looked at it was that these are the things that we have learned in class all semester. I feel like before I was not anywhere close to someone that would be an excellent reading teacher but now I know that things like strategic groupings and reading coaching are fundamental skills to make a great reading teacher.
I also read "Every Child a Reader: What One Teacher can do," and the biggest key part of that article to me was also in the beginning and it ties into what I got out of the first article. It mentions that the key to being a good, effective teacher is learning. You have to learn to be a teacher, and you have to keep learning while you teach. We have to be able to be open to learning new ways to teach our students depending on their individual learning needs.

What are some ways that you think reading instruction will be changing and what are ways you can learn new things to incorporate into your classroom?

3 comments:

  1. I also read Every Child a Reader: What One Teacher Can Do, and I agree that in order to teach effectively you have to learn how to teach and how your students learn. With the diverse classrooms of today the individual needs of the student are very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think excellent reading teacher are those who can communicate well with their students in order for them to successfully succeed and with the strategies you have listed i now you will be able to help all of your students

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also pointed out that the article summarized everything we have learned in class. I think it is a very good thing for us to remember that we are never done learning and we have to be open to continue to learn new strategies.

    ReplyDelete