About Me

My photo
I'm a Special Education intern at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I will be getting my master's degree in Mod/Comp Special Education in May of 2014.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Comprehension


In the Gregory and Cahill article about teaching explicitly to kindergartners, I was completely captivated by the idea of starting to use children's schemas so young. The idea that these kids even KNEW what schemas were was awesome to me. I didn't know that word until high school. i think it is so important to build on what kids know, even when they're super young and may not know much at all. The texts become so much more meaningful if they can make any kind of connection to it.



3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think when kids make connections to whatever they are reading, they comprehend the information better. It will also help them remember the text better in case of a test or quiz when they have prior knowledge about the subject and make connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids absolutely can comprehend more when they have connections to the subject matter. I see this with my two boys almost every day. If I were to ask them questions about a book they've read about Star Wars, they would be way more likely to know the information than if I were to ask them about a book about Care Bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also seen these connections work very well, My little brother is 5 and can learn or comprehend anything if it involves electronics. But my little sister has no background knowledge of electronics so it wouldn't be beneficial for her to learn that way.

    ReplyDelete