About Me

My photo
I'm a Special Education intern at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I will be getting my master's degree in Mod/Comp Special Education in May of 2014.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Hooked on Phonics!


Do ya'll remember those commercials from our childhood? I was reading this week and I think that EVERYONE should be hooked on phonics. (Not the program, just the concept.) Cunningham and Allington say that for every one word you can decipher, you can decode up to seven more you've never seen. Clearly, phonics is quite important. I think that the article by Kathleen Clark showed really good examples of different ways to help your students with their phonics. My favorite was getting all of the students involved in helping the struggling reader. I think that making things more student oriented and teacher guided helps build all of the kids' confidence in their reading!


Maybe if someone would have helped Gaston with his phonics he would have understood why Belle liked to read so much...


Do you still sound out words when you see one that you don't understand?



3 comments:

  1. I think that working together is a great tool to help someone with phonics. The students can show each other rather than the teacher taking control. Sometimes I would think that the student would get discourage if they were the constant one being corrected by the teacher, but if they worked together with their peers I think that they could be successful and get less embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounding out words is my thing!!! When I don't understand a word I usually do not know what it means either. I will usually look up the word because sometimes after I fin the meaning I realize that I have heard the word before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that all students should be hooked on phonics. I also agree that students who are struggling with reading should really be involved with peers to learn to read better. It doesn't make the child feel singled out if they are incorporated with the other children.

    ReplyDelete